Sunday, April 10, 2011

Austin Powers GoGo Dress

This year at D*C, several costuming friends have decided to form an Austin Powers group.  Each person selected a specific costume from either the opening dance or the scene at the Electric Psychadelic Pussycat Swinger's Club.  After watching the first ten minutes of Austin Powers several times, I settled on this cute little orange and yellow number--kind of mod, definitely cheeky:


Pattern: I started out with a Simplicity pattern---a standard go-go dress that doubles as three other costumes--but scrapped it after modifying it beyond its use. 

Fabric: Orange stretch knit, slightly ribbed.  I had some trouble finding a fabric that had a nice stretch AND was the right shade of orange.  I actually bought some really cheesy polyester (like the kind old leisure suits are made of:) and tried to dye it with idye poly, but to no avail.  After exercising patience, I finally found what I needed!  The yellow band is a cotton jersey.  The arrow is made of fun fur--mine looks a little less shaggy than the original, but oh, well.  It was inexpensive, and may shag itself up in time, no pun intended.

Stockings: The opaque yellow knee-highs were found at we love colors, which is a great online store for hosiery.  I also wear Danskin flesh-toned dance hosiery.  As for the unmentionables (the skirt is quite short), I was sure to order a pair of yellow cheerleader Spankies.  Just in case;)

Shoes:  You only see her shoes in the distance shots as Austin is pulling up to the club, and from what I can make out, they are orange gogo half-boots.  It would have been so much easier if they had been knee-high (they are so easy to find on ebay), but, again, I held out and finally found some gently worn tan suede boots at Goodwill.  Super comfy and well made.  Plus, the heel height is just high enough without being too high. I painted them orange...voila!

Earrings:  I was able to zoom in and get a fairly decent look at her hoops, which look to be orange and fushia beads.  All I did was thread larger glass beads onto jewelry wire, then clasp them to ear hooks.   

Handbag:  It looks as though it may be a frame or 'envelope' bag in yellow patent...again, this is a 'blink and you miss it' costume, so up close details are zilch.  I will be keeping my eyes open for something similar.

Here is the finished dress...solo, and with the shagadelic Austin Powers group, who performed at the Dragon Con 2011 Masquerade!







No comments:

Post a Comment