Friday, June 3, 2011
Patterns: I actually used 3 patterns to finish this gown: for the bodice: Simplicity 2966; for the sleeves: Simplicity # 4156; for the skirt: Simplicity #3791.
Fabrics: Heavy white satin for the underlayer; white sparkle tulle and white netting for the 'middle' layers; iridescent sheet for the outerlayer. Crinkle organza would be more advisable.
Extras: I hand-beaded the designs on the bodice in gold bugle and seed beads, and I also added AB swarovski crystals here and there. I made the necklace out of several types of glass beads in clear and AB, twisted around gold jewelry wire. The hoop skirt was purchased on ebay--a bridal hoop with 6 layers! The biggest I could find! I also made the hairpieces out of white and iridescent ribbon and wire. The brooch on the skirt was made out of sculpey, then texturized. I added AB swarovski rhinestones. The beading took about 2 months to complete (around the bodice and the sleeves). I wish *now* that I would have used gold lace instead. Will consider if I ever decide to do a version 2.0!
Instead of selling the gown (which I still may do), I temporarily loaned the gown to a local production of 'Cinderella.' It looked great onstage!